Don’t let your heated/conditioned air escape!!
Air enters and leaves your home through every hole, nook, and cranny. The largest source of air comes in and out through openings in your ceilings, walls, and floors. Other areas include ducts, fireplace, plumbing penetrations, windows, doors, fans, and even electric outlets and light switches!
Some exchange of air is important for your indoor air quality to be at a healthy level. However, many homes may not be “tight” enough – meaning you can’t control the flow of that air on your terms. Warm air leaking into your home during the summer and out of your home during the winter can waste a lot of your energy dollars! Plus, unwanted air can cause cold drafts or hot spots, making you and your family uncomfortable year round.
During your Home Performance audit we will identify what your overall, whole-house air exchange rate is and how that compares to Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® recommended levels. Key areas for improvement will be noted and treatment suggestions will be customized for your home’s unique needs.
If your home’s air exchange is too high, specific air-sealing areas will be a recommended treatment option. One of the quickest dollar-saving investments in your home is to have all seams, cracks, and openings to the outside appropriately sealed. You can save as much as 10% on your heating and cooling bill by reducing the air leaks in your home.
Air Sealing Treatment Options May Include:
- Sealing with tape or spray foam
- Adding or replacing weather-stripping
- Insulating your outlet and switch plates
We look in these specific areas for leaks
- Dropped Ceiling
- Recessed light
- Attic entrance
- Sill plates
- Water and furnace flues
- All ducts
- Door frames
- Chimney flashing
- Window frames
- Electrical outlets and switches
- Plumbing and utility access
How do we make Air Sealing Painless?
- This procedure can typically be performed in a few hours.
- Agreenergy will come to your home at the scheduled time. They are professional, courteous and respectful of your home and your family.
- Your home will be sealed by experts with little interruption to your daily routine.
- After they have completed the procedure, they will be sure to remove all tools, equipment and debris. Agreenergy will also clean-up the project area, including vacuuming as sweeping as needed.