Insulation acts like a blanket on your home. When properly installed, it keeps the heat inside your home during winter, and the cool air inside during the summer.
There are 46 Million under-insulated homes in the US. If your home is as little as 5 to 10 years old, your home is likely under-insulated, according to the Harvard University School of Public Health.
Overall, heating and cooling account for 50%-70% of the energy used in the average home, as noted by the Department of Energy. The leading causes for energy loss in a typical home is not enough insulation and too much air leakage.
Proper Insulation Provides
- Greater comfort
- More even temperature distribution
- Better moisture control, which can reduce floor squeaks, drywall cracks, structure damage and condensation
- Another selling point for your home. Many home buyers list energy-efficiency as a prime consideration
- A more environmentally-friendly home
- Lower energy bills
A Good Financial Move
One of the lowest cost options for improving the energy efficiency of your home is insulation. Using the correct levels of insulation in the attic area will typically give you the best savings, but it depends on your particular home. Insulation pays off quickly and keeps paying off with better comfort and energy savings for as long as you own your home.
How Agreenergy can Help
Through a home performance audit, or energy audit, Agreenergy will check most areas with a visual inspection. Other areas, like your walls, will be checked with an infrared camera to determine if insulation is present, or missing.
Depending On Your Test Results, Insulation Treatment Options May Include:
- Crawl Spaces
What’s the Difference between Insulation and Air Sealing?
The ability of insulation to limit air movement should not be confused with “air sealing”. The insulation reduces air movement only within the space it occupies. It will not reduce air movement through other cracks between building parts. For example, controlling air movement within a wall cavity will not stop air that leaks between the foundation and the sill plate or between the wall joists and a window frame.
Insulation works best when air is not moving through or around it. So, depending on your test results, Agreenergy may recommend that we seal air leaks before installing insulation to ensure that you get the best performance from the insulation.
What Is Involved In Installing Insulation?
- This procedure can typically be performed in a few hours.
- We come to your home at the scheduled time. We are professional, courteous and respectful of your home and your family.
- We add the prescribed insulation such as cellulose, fiberglass, blanket wraps, foam or foam inserts with little interruption to your daily routine.
- After we have completed the procedure, we will be sure to remove all tools, equipment and debris. Agreenergy will also clean-up the project area, including vacuuming as sweeping as needed.